The Mausoleum of Hafez
A little further down from the Qor'an Gate, on the left-hand side, a wide avenue, called kheyaban-e-Kharabat diverges, and the Mausoleum of Hafez is near the beginning of it. The original Hafez structure was made in 1187 A.H (1773 A.D) in the time of Karim Khan Zand, and in the centre stood four stone columns, the north and south sides were open, and on each of the other two sides a room had been built. The actual tomb of Hafez was outside and behind this building in the middle of the cemetery, and later on, an iron railing was fixed round the tomb, which did not have a fitting appearance.
During the years 1935 to1939, by direction of the Ministry of Education, the Mausoleum of Hafez acquired its present form. The stone edging of the tanks of the Karim Khan buildings, which had been removed when the Zand Avenue in Shiraz was extended, were transferred to the compound of the Hafeziyeh, and placed in position round pools of water. The four original columns in the centre were retained, and sixteen other stone columns of one piece and of similar shape were prepared, and the present colonnade of twenty columns of a lenght of 56 meters was erected, with decorative designs, plaster mouldings and faience, in accordance with ancient and original Shiraz styles, and poetical verses of Hafez, and an inscription giving the date of the construction, and the names of the late Shah, and the Minister of Education (Mr' Ali Asghar Hekmat) were placed in suitable positions. The original tombstone was raised on an eight-sided platform on which eight stone columns, each of one piece, stand. These columns support the roof, which is canopy covered with copper sheeting, and the ceiling beneath decorated with a mosaic of enamelled tiles, and with selected verses of the .....? The tomb is situated in the middle of the second and supper garden in line with the centre of the Colonnade, and the ancient tombstone has remained its original position. The late General Riazi, the former Director of Education of architecture of this beautiful building.
The tombs of Ahli of Shiraz, who died in 1535, and of Forsato'd-doleh of Shiraz who died in 1920, are situated below the Mausoleum of Hafez, and other great men, whose names need not be recorded in this book, have been interred in the same compound. The tomb-chamber of the Qavam family is in the western corner of the Hafez Mausoleum, and it has several decorated arched rooms, and a small courtyard built in 1872, is on the north of the mausoleum enclosure, and now serves as the library of the Mausoleum of Hafez.
The Mausoleum of Hafez's Old and New Pictures