The Mausoleum of Sa'di

Pictures     Back

The Golestan Avenue (formerly Kharabat), which passes in iront of the Mausoleum of Hafez, after one or two kilometers turns towards the north alongside the garden, known as Delgosha, and reaches the village of Sa'diyeh, where the Mausoleum of Sa'di is situated. The present building of the Mausoleum has some resemblance to the palace of the Forty Columns in Esfahan, and other ancient buildings, improved with modern architecture, are to be seen there (Picture No. 106) by order of His Imperial Majesty the present Mausoleum was built by the Society for the Protection of National Monuments, and in the month Ordibehesht, 1331 (1952), the opening ceremonies were performed in the presence of the Sovereign. The portico has tall four-sided columns of reinforced concrete, sheathed in layers of red marble. The front of the tomb-chamber is decorated with designs in coloured mosaic tiles, and the Mausoleum is surmounted by a dome covered with enamelled tiles of a turquois colour, the whole presenting an appearance of splendour. The walls within the tomb-chamber are adorned with enamelled tiles, and with selected verses in four recesses, from the four poetical works of Sa'di, called Golestan, Bustan, Tayebat, and Badaye, and there is also an inscription recording the date of the construction. The former tomb building dated from the time of Karim Khan Zand, and consisted of two large rooms on either side of a portico, and there were steps, arched recessed and small alcoves in the centre, and in one of the rooms there was the tomb of Sa'di, and in the other one, the tomb of the late Sahurideh Fasiho'l-molk, a well-known Shiraz poet of the last century. The repairs and improvements were carried out by the late Fath'Ali Khan Saheb-e-divan, and the late Habibollah Khan Qavamo'l-molk, and inevitably, in order to erect the present building, the old structure was demolished. But some pieces of a very ancient tombstone, and a stone inscription from a building much older than the Karim Khan one, were discovered in the course of excavations in the enclosure, and are preserved in the Mausoleum of Sa'di. The place of the tomb of the late Shurideh also is connected by means of a passage way, lit by seven open arches, to the mausoleum of Sa'di, and the whole structure presents an unusual and stricking appearance. The underground stream, special to Sa'di, flows through a fishpond below the surface, which can be reached by a flight of steps. And adjacent buildings, where visitors can stay and be refreshed, and quarters for the caretaker, have been erected on the western side of the cnclosure.

On the hill near the village of Sa'diyeh, the remains of an ancient fort, called Fahandezh, exist, in which there are two deep square-cut wells, attributed to the Achaemenian and Sasanian ages, and to the time of the dynasty of the Atabakan in Fars, founded by Salghar.


The Mausoleum of Sa'di Pictures